Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > (a bit off-topic, but..) The Town can't compete with great epic/classic films of old!

mplo

This is somewhat off-topic, and it may well ruffle afew feathers, but, imho, The Town just can't compete with a lot of the great, golden oldie-but-keepers of classics/epics such as West Side Story, Lawrence of Arabia (both of which I've seen great 50th-year Anniversary restoration screenings in the movie theatres), to mention a score of others, and never will, not only in terms of the photography, stories, etc., but in terms of the actors/actresses that these older movies had in them.  Unlike in West Side Story,  The Town's actors were relatively untalented, the soundtrack rather tinny, the story rather overused, with an immature script. The Town's Boston accents, especially on the part of Ben Affleck, rather forced, phony and unnatural-sounding. 

I also might add that, unlike The Town, movies such as Lawrence of Arabia, West Side Story, and many of the older films carry the message that actions have consequences not only for antagonists, but protaganists alike; that violence, arrogance, hubris, stupidity and the killing/injuring of innocent people, as well as being an accessory to all those things will just lead to a bad end, and that people have to be held accountable for their actions and behaviors.

November 5, 2012 at 6:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jake
Site Owner

I haven't seen the Town but good to know it may not be worth it.  I do want to eventually see Lawrence of Arabia at some point

November 9, 2012 at 3:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

mplo

Jake at November 9, 2012 at 3:51 AM

I haven't seen the Town but good to know it may not be worth it.  I do want to eventually see Lawrence of Arabia at some point

Hi, Susan.  Thanks for your reply to my latest post.  The Town really wasn't worth it, imo, but Lawrence of Arabia is another great classic film.  It, too, was fabulous in the digitally-restored, brand-new film version, both of which the film and soundtrack were absolutely pristine.  Lawrence of Arabia is another classic that you should jump at the chance to see if and when it comes to a great big, wide movie theatre screen in your area.  Glad I was able to be of some help.  

November 10, 2012 at 9:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.