Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Hello again to West Side Story!

mplo

I hadn't seen the film West Side Story in a couple of years, but when I saw that it was scheduled to re-appear at a small theatre up in Lowell, Ma, a blue-collar city with an interesting mixture of people,  which is roughly 40-45 minutes north of where I presently reside, I decided to purchase a ticket online for the afternoon showing.  Yesterday proved to be warm and nice, with lots of sunshine..a perfect day for an outing, and to take in a great movie.  

I got some direction on the triple A website, printed up my ticket, and started out at roughly 11:30 yesterday morning.  It was a pretty drive, and it was easy to get to the theatre.  I parked in the big garage, and then stopped in a very good Irish-Mexican restaurant for lunch before the movie.  The food was quite good, and the waitress very nice.  I felt a bit sorry for her, since the restaurant was short-staffed, and she was the only one holding the fort, but she kept on.  

After lunch, I walked up to the theatre, which was in a place called the Mill #5.  After entering through a pair of iron gates, going through a darkish underpass and taking the 2nd elevator to the 4th floor,  I kept going past the various shops, and whatever, until I saw a lit-up sign for the Luna Theater, straight ahead.   I picked out a seat that I liked, settled in, and waited for the movie to start.

The Luna Theater is an attractive little theatre, which is another perfect place for a movie such as West Side  Story and other classic films.  The seats looked like old automobile seats, and they each had a table for drinks and snacks, or whatever.  Although the showing of the film West Side Story didn't sell out, we did have a good crowd...it was well attended.    A very pristine print of the film was shown, and, as usual, I sat there, loving every minute of it, although I did start to really tear up during the time when Anita (who was grieving over Bernardo's death.) and Maria were singing  "I have a love".  

After seeing  the film West Side Story for the first time in a couple of years, I realized the message more than before:  that hatred, violence, arrogance and hubris leads nowhere, but that intergroup reconciliation, as difficult as it can be and often is, still has hope for transpiring (taking place).  

February 8, 2016 at 3:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.